Composting at home is one of the best ways to turn food scraps into ‘BLACK GOLD’. It is one of the greatest aspects of Nature, that turns waste into a healthy feed for your beautiful garden.
There are many myths flying around regarding home composting, It is too complicated, it smells bad, it is messy. But composting in a right way with the help of microbes can give you Odourless healthy plant feed and with simple and easy steps.
What is composting?
Composting is a controlled process of decomposition of organic material. While naturally occurring soil organisms take a long time in recycling Nitrogen, potash, Phosphorus, and other plant nutrients in converting to humus.
The use of specific microbes enables faster compost formation. The rich composition of microbes and microbial extract in V-COMPTM allows compost formation 25-30% faster also without any foul odour.
The benefits of composting are many such as:
- Reduces the volume of garbage requiring disposal.
- Saves money for you and your community and enriches soil quality.
- Compost adds nutrients improves soil structure, which allows better root growth, retain moisture and nutrients. Plants love compost!
What to compost?
|High Nitrogen Green ingredients||High Carbon Brown ingredients|
How to make a compost pile and use V-COMPTM at the same time?
There are many ways to make compost. Here is a simple way to get started.
- Set up a compost bin- A large size bin with a secure cover is placed in a convenient shady area with proper drainage facility.
- Start the pile with a layer of coarse corn stalks/twigs to build in air passages, alternating with a layer of ‘brown’ and ‘green’ / kitchen waste mixing together. Add three times brown layer to one time of green to prevent odours. Also avoid adding fatty and oily foods etc in the pile. Sprinkle with soil every 12 inches.
- Mix 50 grams of V comp in 1 ltr of water and keep the air tight bottle for 2-5days in shadow to build the microbes.
- Add the water in the compost bin and top it with dry leaves.
- Continue adding wet waste and dry leaves in the container
- Add appropriate amount of V-COMPTM as per volume of waste to increase the rate of decomposition.
- Add water as you build the pile. Keep the composting material damp or it will take longer to happen. Microbes love moisture and warmth!
- As time goes on keep oxygen available to the compost pile by fluffing and turning the mixture with a compost turning tool or hoe. Frequent turning allows the microbes in V-COMP TM to shorten the composting time by 25-30% less time.
Ideally compost looks black, enriched in all nutrients. Adding the same as a topping to your plants will provide protection a natural insect repellent and act as an organic fertilizer.